The Liederkranz Maennerchor is getting new life 100 years down the road. Originally built for a German singing/social club, the building will soon be an assisted living retirement home.
In 1911, the Liederkranz Maennerchor erected a new building on Market St . The growing club, similar to the Germania Maennerchor, moved from their old hall on 4th St. The new building, faced with yellow brick, was designed by Frank J Schlotter.
Knights of Columbus bought the building in 1918 and moved in.
In 1968 the Republican headquarters located in the old building.
After sitting vacant for some time, the building fell into disrepair. Some of the top brickwork collapsed and the leaky roof created severe structural damage. Presently the Kunkel Group is restoring the building and adding a new wing on the back left (to the south), though they had to gut it down to the walls. Nearing completion the building will become home to the Riverwalk Communities Assisted Living Retirement Home.
Liederkranz Maennerchor on HistoricEvansville.com - http://historicevansville.com/site.php?id=liederkranz
Liederkranz Maennerchor tour on RecreationalTresspasser.com - http://www.recreationaltrespasser.com/misc/KofC/index.htm