100 years ago Henry Reis was built and we take a look back at its history.
The old Olmstead School was nearby, but as the city expanded into the Stringtown area, a new school was built to replace the old township school. Plans were designed by Clifford Shopbell in 1912 for a two-story brick and stone school though a location was not yet determined. The school was finally begun October 1914 on Stringtown Rd between Reis and Keck Avenues and opened 1915. The school was named Henry Reis after the president of what is now known as Old National Bank. As an interesting side note, William Atkins, the Pigeon Township trustee, got into a bit of hot water after he misspent the special school fund and put the building of the school in the red before it even started.
By the 1920's, the booming Stringtown area caused a swell in Henry Reis's attendance. H Gilbert Karges designed an addition to the school in the Collegiate Gothic style. The new section (north/right of the original section) was built from 1925-6 and nearly tripled the size of the school.
After serving the area for years, Henry Reis school closed in 1968 a few years after Evans School opened
In recent years it was known as the North Annex, which served as an alternative school and even held some adult classes before the EVSC Tech Center on Lynch Rd opened up. It is now home to Lifesong Academy.
Henry Reis at HistoricEvansville.com - http://historicevansville.com/site.php?id=henryreis