Whether you'll be celebrating Valentine's Day with your significant other, best friend, family or flying solo, there are plenty of great ways to break out of the roses routine to have a Valentine's Day you'll remember for years to come. Read on for 10 romantic and imaginative ways to celebrate Valentine's Day in New England this year:
- Spend An Evening Sampling Chocolate and Wine - Boston Wine Tours invites you to spend your Valentine's evening sampling the finest wines paired with scrumptious chocolates. You'll learn the secret of pairing chocolate and wine to bring out new and unexpected flavor combinations. Tickets $55
- Live The Downton Abbey Lifestyle if only for a day - The Hotel Viking in Newport Rhode Island invites you to be pampered just like the privileged aristocrats who built their opulent summer "cottages" along Newport's shores. Take advantage of their Mansions Package and receive tickets to tour the magnificent Newport Mansions and stay in the storied hotel.
- Relive The Romance of West Side Story With The Boston Symphony Orchestra - On Feb 14-16, the BSO is performing the entire score to West Side Story alongside a screening of the recently re-mastered film. "Conductor David Newman leads the BSO in Leonard Bernstein’s iconic music, and the concerts take place at Symphony Hall in Boston, MA.Additionally, American soprano Marni Nixon will be interviewed on stage prior to the Sunday performance from 1:45 to 2:15 p.m. Marni famously provided the singing voice for Natalie Wood’s Maria in the film."
- Love Just Like In The Movies Watching Casablanca Under The Stars - The McAuliffe-Shephard Planetarium in Concord New Hampshire will present "Valentine's Day Under the Stars" at the Discovery Center Planetarium theater. The "Stellar" evening will include screening of the classic film Casablanca on the large screen, hors d'oeuvres, live music and more. Tickets are $55 per couple.
- Brew Up A Festive Valentine's Dinner - If you love beer more than champagne, you'll want to head north to Ogunquit, Maine for the interactive four-course beer pairing dinner at the Meadowmere Restaurant. Learn about beers and regional breweries while munching on artisnal wood-fired pizzas. Why not stay the weekend with the Meadowmere Resort Craft Beer Dinner Package.
- No date? No Problem - Head to Jackson New Hampshire for the annual Black Mountain Chairlift Speed Dating event, noon to 5:30 pm. Combine your love of Skiing and a fun speed dating event. Love Consultants match folks based on age and other factors and give them a lift to the mountain top.
- Calling All Singles For More Dating Fun - Falmouth on Cape Cod has the answer. Liam Maguire's Irish Pub brings back its annual "Dateless Dating Game Night. There will be plenty of hilarity as volunteer Barchelors and Bachelorettes play the ultimate Dating Game. Make a weekend of it with the Palmer House Inn's Dateless in Falmouth Package.
- Treat The Whole Family To A Cape Escape - The Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster invites families to spend the February school break playing in their two swimming pools with cannon ball contests and inner-tube polo, as well as Pirate-themed scavenger hunts, kids cupcake happy hours and lots more. Rates start at just $129 per night.
- How About Some Puppy Love - Whether you have a partner or not, our pets share their unwavering devotion, so maybe it's time to return the love with a pampered pet weekend away. The grand Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, Maine will spoil your pet with a personalized L.L. Bean dog bed, 30-minute in-room doggie massage, nightly gourmet entrees from the pet menue with long walks along the beach as an option.
- Sail Into The Sunset and Dance Under The Stars in Boston Harbor - Whether you're a couple or family, taking a Boston Harbor Cruise aboard the Spirit of Boston or Odyssey will be a memorable event for Valentine's Day. Guests are welcome with a champagne toast and complimentary roses, followed by a lavish dinner, live entertainment and amazing view of Boston Harbor. Those wishing to celebrate on Saturday morning can board for a special Valentine's brunch.
So there's no reason to settle for the grocery store cello-wrapped flowers this year. Get out and make a memory!