Spring break is looming on the horizon and your bags are packed. You have all but memorized your itinerary to a popular destination. But have you thought of everything? Below are 10 tips to enjoying Spring Break while remaining healthy and safe.
1. Drink bottled water. Most ruined vacations have only one culprit- biological contaminates from local tap water. Play it safe and spend a few bucks if you don’t want to be praying to the porcelain gods for the duration of your vacation. But drink plenty as most people not used to warmer climates suffer varying degrees of dehydration.
2. Make sure someone knows your itinerary, just in case something happens. Make plans to call, text or email a friend or family member back home at a certain time each day. That way the authorities can be contacted as soon as you are missing. Statistics show that chances of being found decrease to almost 0 after 48 hours.
3. Know your surroundings. Take a look at the area you will be vacationing by looking at maps, or better yet- Google maps. Take a virtual tour of the area where you will be staying so you 1. have a basic knowledge of where things are and 2. you know how to make a quick getaway if the need arises.
4. Carry minimal cash, and use a money belt. Put your passport, credit cards and cash in it, and wear it under your clothing. Thieves target tourists, knowing they always have money on them, and can get in and out of even your front pocket without you ever knowing- until you go to purchase something.
5. Eat well, but eat safe. One of the best parts of vacationing is partaking in the local food! Enjoy it! But only eat at places that boast good ratings, and if the place looks dirty, move on to somewhere else.
6. Pack right. Flip flops, sunglasses and suntan lotion are routinely overpriced when purchasing them at tourist destinations. When it comes to spring break, it’s better to overpack with everything you know you are going to need for days in the sun and nights partying than to blow through your vacation budget buying overpriced beachwear and toiletries.
7. Drink wisely. Be careful and moderate the amount of alcohol you are drinking. Falling asleep on the beach and waking up with a third degree burn will totally kill the rest of your week. Or worse yet- waking up in a strangers bed with no recollection of where you are... Remember that hot tubs intensify the effects of alcohol.
8. Take a break from spring break. Spring break is a week filled with music, fun, and many activities that involve all the senses. Take a moment from time to time to just unwind. Take a walk off the beaten path and enjoy local nature- you might see some birds or wildlife you have never experienced. Or meditate by the beach at sunrise.
9. Bring and use condoms. Very important and all that needs to be said here.
10. Never take your eyes off your drink. Especially if you are a girl. Tasteless chemicals can be dropped into it in the mere blink of an eye.
There’s no reason you can’t stay safe while having fun! Oh, and don’t forget to bring a camera to record the memories (and the ones you can’t remember!)
Share your tips and stories below!