Thick, bushy eyebrows are a sign of youth and a beauty trend often showcased on the runways of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Unfortunately, many women like myself have sparse brows due to over tweezing or the natural loss of hair due to the aging process. Until recently waxy brow pencils or permanent brow tattoos were the only recourse for women who desired a more defined brow. Thankfully, cosmetic companies such as Anastasia Beverly Hills realized the value of creating products in this niche category making it easier than ever to create the illusion of full, thick brows which promotes a more youthful appearance.
Brow shape varies based on face shape however, in general the high point of the brow should hit just outside the iris of the eye. Brows should be thicker at the inner part of the brow, gradually tapering towards the temples. Color selection for brows should be based on the natural color of the brows. Using a shade that is one shade lighter than the natural brow color typically looks the most natural.
One of my favorite and most versatile brow pencils is the Rimmel London Professional Brow Pencil in the color Hazel. This staple in my makeup kit is a beauty steal at only $3.99. Another favorite product is the Brow Wiz by Anastasia Beverly Hills however it boasts a much bigger price tag at $21. NYX’s new Brow Gel is a close dupe for the Make Up For Ever Aqua Brow. Both products are smudge-proof, waterproof and very pigmented. While performance of these two brow products are very similar, the prices are not with the NYX Brow Gel costing about $13 less than MUFE Aqua Brow.
10 steps to the perfect brow
- Deposit a small dot of brow gel onto palette and recap product
- Dip a synthetic bristle, angled brow brush into brow gel to coat brush with product
- Remove excess gel by swiping each side of brush onto palette before applying to brow. (LaVaque Thumb Palette is my fav!)
- Brush brows with brow brush or mascara wand/spoolie
- Outline top of brows to peak of arch, following natural or desired hairline
- Outline from top of arch to end of brow, using remaining product on the brush
- Repeat step 2 above
- Outline bottom of brows to peak of arch, following natural or desired hairline
- Outline from bottom of arch to end of brow, using remaining product on the brush
- Fill in the front and center of the brow with remaining gel until desired density is reached