The 90's saw the first reality show with "the Real World" the first home pcs and first to bring the world online. But we also saw great films, some were cutting edge techonlogy.
- 1991 --- Terminator 2 --- Arnold Schwarzenagger once more is the Terminator, but this time goes back to save Sara Connar's son, John Conner from a new version of the Terminator.
- 1993 --- Demolition Man --- Police officer John Spartan, (Sylvester Stallone) is tasked with rescuring hostages from a crime lord Simon Phoenix (Weslly Snipes). The raid goes wrong and both John and Simon are sentenced to jail time in cryoprision. In 2032 the world has been rid of crime. By accident Simion is revived and no one knows how to deal with violence. The only solution is to de-thaw John so he can stop Simon and end his terror.
- 1994 --- Stargate --- In 1928 a strange monument is uncovered in Giza. It is covered in hieroglyphs that none can read until Danel Jackson (James Spader) arrives and translates it. The monument is a stargate, built to allow travel through space by use of wormhole. The destination of course needs to be investigated and Danel goes on an expedition to another galaxy.
- 1995 --- Water World--- Keven Costner produced and starred in this futuristic world where the earth is covered in water. The humans are trying to survive in this new world, some have started to mutate by developing gills and webbed feet. Water world follows a mutant, the Mariner (Costner) as he becames the unlikely hero to find the mythical Dryland.
- 1995 --- 12 Monkeys --- About life on earth after a virus wiped out most of humanity. James Cole (Bruce Willis) is sent back in time to get information on the virus to see if there is a way to make a cure.
- 1996 --- Independence day--- It is 1999 and an alien spacecraft is in earth's orbit, after a brief contact with the extraterrestrials, the aliens destory major cities, including Washington D.C. and Los Angeles. Steven Hiller (Will Smith) a figher pilot and the rest of humanity must fight against this dominant enemy.
- 1997 --- The Fifth Element --- An asteroid is hulling toward earth and it is said that the only thing that can save it are stones of four elements. Earth, wind, air, water, each made up of a stone, the fifth element is in the form of Leeloo (Millia Jovoich) a being from another world. But if Zorg (Gary Oldmand) finds the stones first it will trigger a disaster. Despite Leeloo's remarkable powers, she needs help with her mission and enlists military leader turned cab driver Korben Dallas (Bruce Willis) when she falls through the roof of his taxi in the 23rd Century.
- 1997 --- Men In Black --- Aliens are living among us! The Men in Black is a secret organization that makes sure that mankind will never be aware that Earth is crawling with alien life forms. Rookie agent Jay (Will Smith) teams up with Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) and track down an interglactic terrorist to save the planet.
- 1997 --- Contact --- Dr. Ellie Arroway (Jodi Foster) after years of searching finds radio proof of intelligent aliens, who sends plans for a mysterious machine.
- 1999--- Matrix --- A computer hacker, Neo (Keanu Reeves) learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war aginst those who are controlling it.
That's my sci-fi list for the 90's. All of them full of action and the early years of CGI. Let us know what you think is the best sci-fi movie of the 90's.
Look for best fantasy movies of the 90's, coming to a screen near you by the sci-fi Guru.