At this time of the year there are many food and wine festivals that celebrate the fruits of harvest. One such tasting experience is Sunset Savor the Central Coast. It not only rejoices the harvest but honors chefs and winemakers, who bring cuisine and wine to our tables. The 2014 premier event that takes place at the Santa Margarita Ranch and other locations in San Luis Obispo County from September 25 – 28.
For those wishing to discover the scenic beauty, wonderful food and wines, the event highlights what the Central Coast has to offer. This is Sunset Savor’s 5th annual food and wine tasting, which is sponsor and organized by Visit San Luis Obispo County in conjunction with Sunset Magazine. Being my 4th year attending, I have had the opportunity to meet people, who travel from different parts of the country and abroad just to attend this extravaganza.
The theme this year is Time to Play and will involve all five of your senses. You will be able to see the sights of the Central Coast, touch the local produce, smell the aromas emanating from the cuisine and libations, taste the marvelous fare and wine of the region and hear what professionals have to say about the Central Coast and its artesian food and wine.
Here are ten reasons why attending this event is the perfect weekend escape for both wine and food enthusiasts.
- The special events and dinners especially Sunset at Hearst Castle, a magical and memorable evening watching the sunset on the grounds of this monumental castle. A once in a lifetime event that takes one back to a bygone era. This do not miss event should be on everyone’s bucket list.
- Sunset in the Vineyard at Vina Robles. Think of the Los Angeles Greek Theater meets the Hollywood Bowl under the Paso Robles starry autumn skies and you have the outdoor stage at Vina Robles Vineyards. This year’s event takes you back to some of those good vibrations of the 1960s. Combining the oldies but goodies with new songs, you will enjoy Brian Wilson and Al Jardine. Beach Boys lovers this is a must.
- Explore some of the wonders the Central Coast and San Luis Obispo County has to offer with the pre-main event Adventure Tours. This year you can discover the Ocean Rose Abalone on the cliffs of Cayucos, create botanical spa products at Sycamore Mineral Springs in Avila Beach, blend wine at Santa Margarita Vineyard, cook local farm cuisine at Dolphin Bay Resort and Spa, see the Clydesdales at Covell Ranch in Cambria, spend the day at Hearst Castle, learn about the food secrets of Arroyo Grande, experience wine at Halter Ranch Vineyard, have a clambake on the sands at the SeaVenture Beach Hotel & Restaurant, celebrate harvest at Windrose Farm in Paso Robles, or learn about Balsamic Vinegar in Atascadero.
- New for this year are the winemaker dinners. Choose between Coastal Fusion at Ventana Grill with Biddle Ranch Vineyards and Modern Day Super Club-Lido Restaurant at The Dolphin Bay Resort with Edna Valley Vineyard.
- Sampling the wining wines of the 2014 Sunset International Wine Competition in the Central Coast Pavilion.
- Foodies find fabulous cooking seminars at Chef Central. This year’s celebrity Chefs are Fabio Viviani, and Tanya Holland, who will be featured in addition to other food-oriented seminars.
- Wine lovers can enjoy incredible tasting seminars at Winemaker Central.
- Discover the Main Event’s Marketplace where you can taste the wines and cuisines from 100 wineries, restaurants and food purveyors from the Central Coast and beyond.
- Beer lovers can enjoy local microbrews while listening to Central Coast music in the Estrada Garden.
- In the CA Grown Pavilion you can discover how to grow a drought-tolerant garden and prepare the freshest and most flavorful foods with an emphasis on the farm to table lifestyle as you watch demonstrations throughout the day.
Most importantly you get to taste, sip and indulge during the 4-day event. There will be at least 200 wines to sample, meeting many of their winemakers while you indulge and savor the culinary bites from over 30 chefs.
For more information and to purchase tickets to this premier event: