Allergies? Diet resolutions? Making healthier versions of old favorites is a great way to start your New Year's resolution for a healthier you - and a healthier family. Here are 10 ideas:
1, Scalloped Potatoes with soy milk and tofu or soy cheese
2. Scalloped Vegetables or Dinner – add other veggies to above and possibly pieces of chicken or turkey if you have left-overs.
3. Calzones – Roll chunks of the Pizza Dough Crust into 7-9” circles. Place about 1 cup of vegetables and
cheese or meat on them, seal and bake 20-35 minutes at 350.
Fillings: cubed potatoes, sliced carrots, onion, bits of beef or chicken, cheese, broccoli, rutabaga cubes, peas (frozen work, canned do not)
4. Fajitas – strips of chicken fajita from Sams Club or pieces of chicken tossed with fajita spices and sautéed with strips of all color peppers and onions. Stir-fry pan works well. Can stir in rice if preferred.
5. Burritos or Tostadas – Whole wheat burritos or tostadas (can “fry” small corn or wheat tortillas in pan with olive oil – 10-15 seconds on each side, and set on paper towel to soak up oil – they cool to crunchy consistency) spread with refried beans and layered with rice, tomatoes, onions, cheese, no fat sour cream, lettuce
6. 5 hour stew with beef or chicken - Mix 1# meat with 1# tomatoes, fresh or canned, and 1# of root vegetables, spice it up to taste and bake at 225 for 5 hours.
7. Tacos do not have to have meat in them – you can put rice or beans and then veggies
8. Pasta Primavera - 5 versions
You can add veggies to last 5 minutes of pasta cooking time: drain.
1. Make sauce for scalloped potatoes, but put it over pasta. Then saute 1 large onion, 1-2 garlic gloves, minced, carrots and 1 cup broccoli florets, in 1 TBSP olive oil. When onions begin to soften add zucchini and 1 tsp - TBSP dried basil (depends on taste – more is slightly ‘spicy’). Add ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Simmer 5 minutes, Add peas and heat through. Toss with hot pasta
2. To the sauce add 1 cup broccoli flowerets, 1 cup julienne carrots, ½ cup chopped red pepper. Can add 3 oz. cream cheese to velote sauce or milk/cheese sauce (medium white sauce with cheese added)
3. Stir in sauce ½ cup chopped green onions, ½ tsp. Italian seasoning, ½ tsp. garlic powder, and stir on low heat until smooth. Add 1 cup julienne cut strips of turkey if desired.
4. 1 cup each veggie: matchstick carrots (buy or cut in food processor – the baby carrots cut wonderfully) and 1 cup frozen peas, zucchini, or mushrooms (sautéd until tender) if desired.
5. OR instead of white sauce Add tomatoes (28 oz can drained and crushed. if fresh not available) and toss with hot pasta then sprinkle with ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated.
9. Country Supper Casserole
Brown 1-1/2” beef (or use soy crumbles) with ½ chopped onion. Put in 3 qt casserole, add 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper and 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce. Add beans and carrots (2 cups sliced green beans, 2 cups cooked carrots)
Top with mashed potatoes around the edge. Pour 1 more 8 oz. tomato sauce in middle.
Bake at 350 till potatoes brown – about 30 min.
10. Vegetarian Chile
1 – 16oz. Chile Magic – Traditional unless you like it hot get Texas style
1 – 16oz Diced tomatoes
1 – 8 oz. can kidney (or other chili) beans
½ package Morning Star Ground “Beef”
1 small onion
½ tsp. chili powder (or pepper if you are spicy)
Fry the “beef” in a little oil with onion till brown
Combine other ingredients and salt and pepper to taste
Bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes.