If you're looking for the perfect beach read, I've got your back. Here are my 10 recommendations for this summer, listed in no particular order:
1. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. The former Arrested Development writer's latest novel is a riotous examination of all things current. The paperback (or your Kindle) will fit right into your beach bag. Just try not to laugh too hard at the airport.
2. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. The fantasy novel that started HBO's hugely successful drama of the same name. The thick masterpiece might take you all summer to read, but that just cuts down on how many books you need to buy.
3. Divergent by Veronica Roth. Hailed as the next Hunger Games, Roth's series is perfect beach reading. Set in a dystopian Chicago, the novel is a real page turner. Read the book before the movie comes out next year.
4. Inferno by Dan Brown. The popular conspiracy novelist brings his popular Robert Langdon back for a new outing. Let's just hope it's better than The Lost Symbol!
5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. If you somehow didn't read this blockbuster last year, do it now! Just be sure to reapply your sunscreen. You'll get a harsh sunburn from reading the whole novel in one sitting.
6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. One of the most talented writers in young adult, John Green's humorous tearjerker about terminally ill teenagers is more inspiring than depressing. But you'll want to bring some tissues for the last 70 pages.
7. That classic novel you've been meaning to read. Whether it's Anna Karenina, Moby-Dick, or Pride and Prejudice there's bound to be a really old book you want/need to read. Those classics are still around for a reason! And you'll look really smart reading it.
8. Any novel by Stephen King. While Under the Dome is having success as a limited-run series on CBS, any of King's horror novels will give you chills to cool off this hot weather. Misery is a particular favorite.
10. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard. The basis for the hit TV show of the same name is packed with just as many juicy secrets.
What are your favorite beach reads? Leave a comment below! You can find all of these books at your local chain bookstore, online or at an independent bookstore near you (click here for a list). The jet-set crowd might want to download the eBook to their Kindle, Nook, iPad or other eBook reader.