So, it’s July 2014. School’s out and the summer officially begins. You ask yourself that mind boggling question- “what can we all possibly do as a family that is enjoyable?” Whether it’s a park showcasing an eclectic band of musicians who are magicians to building your own park, Brooklyn has a lot to offer families this summer. With these summer activities there will be no budget busting or crazy associated costs- (except for a metro card, gas and maybe some lunch money).
1. (Anytime) Imagination Playground JJ Byrne Playground Fifth Avenue & Fourth Street (Brooklyn)- Children can build their own playground with the help of a vivid imagination and the coolest play system- possibly in the world.
2. (Daily) 10am-6pm Until Sept. 1 Pop-Up Pool Brooklyn Bridge Park Enjoy the 30 by 50 foot pool that is only 3'5" deep. - Perfect for toddlers and young siblings. It also includes a sandy beach and play area with food and drinks from Lizzmonade. Swimming lessons are also available. Pier 2 Uplands (Furman St. and Columbia Street).
3. Thursdays 5:30pm and Saturdays 10am Kayaking Brooklyn Bridge Park Boathouse Pier 2 Dock Children under 18 must have an adult guardian present. No experience is necessary. Quarter coin storage lockers are available.
4. Walking With Dinosaurs July 19 - 20 A theatrical presentation of 20 life-size dinosaurs, including the terror of the ancient terrain, Tyrannosaurus rex! Tickets start at $30 Barclays Center 620 Atlantic Ave. 917.618.6100
5. Free Thursdays 3pm Brooklyn Children’s Museum 145 Brooklyn Ave. 718.735.4400 Museum is free for all ages. Free admission excludes special exhibits. Special extended days and hours.
6. July 3-July 6 International African Arts Festival Celebrating its 43rd year The IAAF is the largest summer fair featuring Artists and Arts from the Diaspora. Commodore Barry Park, Navy Street (Between Park and Flushing Avenues) Brooklyn, New York 11205
7. July 5 (Saturday) 12-1pm Youth Moves Movement Workshop- Jane Bailey Workshop 327-329 Greene Ave (Franklin)
8. July 15 (Tuesday) 10:30am Puppet Mobile Little Red Riding Hood’s Secret Agent Maria Hernandez Park 64 Irving Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11237 (Bushwick)- City Parks Foundation offers a traveling puppet show, CityParks PuppetMobile, the oldest continually operating company of its kind in the country
9. July 17 (Thursday) 10am- 11am Groove to Trinidadian steel drummers JahPan as part of Brooklyn's Albee Square Summer Concert Series for Kids. FREE
10. July 26 (Saturday) 10am-1pm Pier Family Field Day Brooklyn Bridge Pier 5 Play volleyball, basketball, soccer, potato sack and relay races. Sneakers are recommended.