SHAPE magazine is known for giving savvy fitness advice, but they also know their stuff when it comes to fashion! The April issue of the magazine listed 10 classic pieces that every woman should own and I agree with every single one of them! Here is my take on 10 things you should have in your closet right now!
1. The Quilted, Chain Strap Purse- Everyone needs a classic, chain strap bag that they can bring out year after year. Chanel makes the most gorgeous, high quality quilted handbags, but there are many other designers who are jumping on the trend for a more affordable price. Rebecca Minkoff makes a stunning python leather clutch with a chain strap that is to die for!
2. The Colarless Jacket- The colarless jacket is the perfect piece for the spring months. You can throw it over any outfit and look like the most glamorous woman in the room. This is a piece that you can always use to dress up an ensemble. Milly makes a great, simple black colarless jacket.
3. The Statement Necklace- This has been one of my favorite trends for the last few seasons. Although it once was considered merely trendy, a statement necklace will always be in style. Look for a vintage inspired necklace in neutral colors or metallics for the most classic choice.
4. The Ruched Shift Dress- A shift dress will never fail you. Whether you need it for a last minute brunch or a meeting, this dress should be a staple in your closet. You can completely alter the look of this dress by wearing it underneath a belted cardigan or throw on a blazer for a more professional look.
5. Strappy Metallic Sandals- Metallic heels are a must for every outfit. They will work with most things in your closet. Strappy heels are fantastic for the summer months because you can transition them from day to night.
6. The Perfect Fitting Jeans- Any woman knows that when denim works for you, it works for you! If you find a pair that you love, you can literally buy them in every single wash and color. Not only that, but the perfect fitting jeans will be comfortable as well as flatter your figure. J Brand makes amazing denim especially their denim leggings which are so hot for the spring and summer.
7. The Embellished Tank- This tank is versatile. In the summer, you can wear it with bare shoulder and jeans. In the fall months, you can wear this tank underneath a jacket or a blazer. The best part about an embellished tank is the fact that it offers you more glamour than a simple tank.
8. The Pencil Skirt- You don't necessarily need a matronly pencil skirt in your closet, but you need a skirt that hits at mid-thigh in a neutral color such as black or gray. Pencil skirts are flattering and sophisticated. If you buy the right skirt, you will be able to wear it for years to come.
9. Textured Flats- As anyone knows, I am obsessed with snakeskin. Snakeskin flats are the perfect finishing touch to any outfit. No matter what the color or print, they work with everything. Look for a neutral snakeskin instead of a crazy color if you want them to last more than one season. Jimmy Choo's "Witney" flat are a great pair if you are looking for a dressier flat.
10. The Trench Coat- This is one of my favorite fashion statements of all time. The trench coat is the most flattering, feminine coat on the market. I love how it ties around the waist to emphasize the best part of a woman's body. Pair this coat with big sunglasses and you are good to go! This is a classic look that will never go out of style.