10 best Oscar dresses of all time is a pretty big claim. POPSUGAR fashion reporter Allison McNamara lists her favorites (Click on video to view) however, is this assertion really true?
Let’s take a look at McNamara’s ten best Oscar dresses and see what other dresses are worth mentioning that debuted at this big glamorous star-studded fashion event.
- 1. Gwyneth Paltrow wore a Cinderella pink ball gown designed by Ralph Lauren in 1999 when she garnered worldwide recognition through her performance in ‘Shakespeare in Love’ (1998), for which she won an Academy Award for Best Actress. Paltrow certainly looked pretty as a picture in pink.
However, Jennifer Lawrence looked equally as youthful and glamorous in 2013 wearing a white strapless dress designed by Christian Dior when she stumbled on the steps to receive her first Oscar.
- 2. Michelle Williams in 2006 wore an audaciously bright yellow Vera Wang is by far one of the all the time best Oscar dresses I’ve seen. I concur with Allison.
- 3. Anne Hathaway wore in 2009 an Armani Prive. Hathaway's column like sparkle of beads and transparent (Almost nude) dress is a sliver of the glamour Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich and Mae West had when they wore something similar. Although, this is not my favorite and I am scratching my head wondering how did this look make it on the all time best dress list for red carpet celebrity style, I give Hathaway kudos for effort.
- 4. Julia Roberts wore a vintage black with white trim Valentino dress in 2001 with her hair high and tight. Roberts received much ado about wearing this dress however I don’t find this a flattering color choice for Roberts. Valentino is one of my all time favorite designers sadly this dress does nothing for me.
- 5. Hilary Swank wore a Calvin Klein dress in 2004 proving that solids can really pop on the red carpet. My only problem with this dress is the boring color grey. One of the best parts about this dress is the low sexy back. I suppose the form fitting style does make up for all the color failings a little.
I’m truly puzzled why Catherine Zeta Jones didn’t make this best dressed list. Oh, I guess Zeta-Jones has yet to win an Oscar.
- 6. Halle Berry turned heads in her Elie Saab sheer embroidered bodice and burgundy satin drapery curtain like skirt. Berry look beautiful and certainly this was a show-stopping gown.
- 7. Sandra Bullock nominated again this year for best actress (Still waiting to see what she’s wears in 2014) but in 2010 Bullock wore a column like sparkle plenty dress designed by Marchesa. Bullock looked lovely in her Marchesa and smiled bright when she won her Oscar although, that year had its super high highs and very low lows. NcNamara chooses Bullock dressed in Marchesa as her number one pick. Again lovely as Bullock looks this dress would not have made my top ten best dress list.
- 8. Nicole Kidman wowed in 1997 wearing a chartreuse green Christian Dior. This color is really a challenge to wear however, Nicole pulls it off and she looks super glamorous.
- 9. Cate Blanchett wore a gunmetal grey Armani Prive gown at Oscar 2007 looking ever so elegant. The dress is noteworthy but not top ten best.
- 10. Last but not least Reese Witherspoon in 2006 wore a beaded vintage Christian Dior from 1995. Super fun and sophisticated for sure.
Click on the video and slideshow, let your inner fashionista out to express what’s on your top ten best dress list.